Sunday, November 30, 2008

HELP ME FIND MR. SALIM / JIM NATO!!

L-R: My uncle, my cousin; Marcilla and Mr. Salim in my grandma's house in Petaling Jaya.


Hello everyone. I have a mission! I’m on a mission to help my family trace a long lost family member by the name, Mr. Salim Bin Meh/Ismail. He should be in his late 60’s or early 70’s. Enclosed picture is a photo of my grand uncle, Mr. Salim (on the right in sarong). Mr. Salim was born, Jimmy or Jim Nato, a Nepalese who was brought by the British Army to Butterworth, Penang when he was young in secondary school age. He studied at Saint Marks School and became a good friend of my late grand uncle, Haji Johari bin Meh. During that time, Mr. Salim was under the care of the Saint Marks headmaster. Having spent a lot of time with my late grand uncle and the family as well as being accepted and loved as a family member, Mr. Salim embraced Islam and took his Muslim name, Salim Bin Meh/Ismail. He stayed with his adopted parents and family until he decided to leave for England and worked himself as a sailor. My grandma, Hajjah Non Ismail, (Maktok) is his elder sister. Mr. Salim met the family on a few occasions until he got married and have a family of his own in England. He married a Malaysian Chinese lady and blessed with two beautiful girls then.


In 1984 (I was not born yet), my late grandfather, Haji Ismail bin Haji Awang, my mum, Normah binti Ismail and my cousin, Marcilla went to London as one of our late granduncles, Ahmad had passed away. Through friends in London, my mother and my late grandfather met Mr. Salim and his family. Mrs. Salim was working as a nurse, in one of the hospitals in London. Her family is from Taman Melawati, Kuala Lumpur. Unfortunately, my mum didn’t get her family’s address in Kuala Lumpur.


A few years ago, a friend of Mr. Salim and late grand uncle (Ahmad) visited my grandma in Petaling Jaya. His name was Akmal. He told my grandma that Mr. Salim and family had left London for Australia. Mr. Akmal sadly, had passed away after returning from Kuala Lumpur. My grandma and grandaunt, Hajjah Zainab, wife of Haji Johari had been talking and asking us (mum and I) to trace Mr. Salim and family. My grandma even said that she kept thinking about him for these past few weeks.


We hope someone out there will be able to help us start the link for my 80 year old grandma. She is hoping very much to meet Mr. Salim and family again.


Please help us find Mr. Salim! Thank you for your time :)

No comments: